Other Questions

citizenship questions

Questions about the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

Where do I get immigration forms?

You can download immigration forms from the USCIS website or by calling (800) 870-3676.  Other websites may charge a fee for forms, but they are free if you get them from USCIS.

I have been waiting too long to hear from the USCIS about my application.   What can I do?

If you have been waiting longer than the time noted on the processing time reports, there are a few things you can do to find out about your application:

  1. Call USCIS at (800) 375-5283 to find out the latest information.
  2. File a G-14 <pdf> with the office handling the application.
  3. Contact your Congressional Representative or U.S. Senator for assistance.  To find them, visit the U.S. House of Representatives website or the U.S. Senate website.
    For NY State:
    Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (212) 688-6262
    Senator Charles Schumer (212) 486-4430
  4. Call 311.  You will be referred to New York City's Office of Immigrant Affairs.  They can contact USCIS for you.

Questions about the Citizenship Now!:

How can CUNY Citizenship Now! help me?

We can help you to review your forms; we can take your picture and copy your green card.  We can also help you apply for a waiver of the fee (but be aware that this may delay the renewal).

How can I have someone from the Citizenship Now! come to my community?

We coordinate events with community-based organizations in different communities.  If you would like to have an event in your community please fill out the "propose an event" form.

How do I volunteer to help out at Citizenship Now! events?

If you would like to volunteer at our Citizenship Now! events you should become a member of the NYC/CUNY Citizenship Corps.  The Citizenship Corps is a group of volunteers created to help our staff provide free naturalization application assistance throughout New York City.  Please fill out the volunteer registration form.

Where can I find English or citizenship classes?

Check our list of organizations offering free or low cost ESL and Civics courses, or call 311 and get information through the Department of Education.

Where can I find free or low-cost immigration assistance?

In addition to our CUNY Immigration Centers, you can also find not-for-profit organizations near you by calling the New York Immigration Hotline at 800-566-7636.