Steps to Naturalization
Four Steps to File for Naturalization
Please check the Naturalization Requirements and Red Flags before submitting your application.
- Mailing the application
The USCIS Application for Naturalization (N-400 Form) requires a $595 filing fee.* You need to also include an additional fee of $85 to cover the cost of the fingerprinting ("biometrics"). The check or money order for $680 should be made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security." Remember to keep a copy of everything you send out to USCIS, the receipts for your money order, and your postal receipts. (Speak with an immigration counselor for the list of required materials to include with your application.) Once you have gathered all required documents, read the application checklist before sending them to USCIS.
- Biometrics Appointment
After mailing your application, you will receive a letter from the USCIS advising you to appear for fingerprinting.
- The USCIS Interview
After the fingerprinting appointment, you will be invited to an interview with a USCIS officer. At this interview, you will be expected to prove your eligibility for naturalization and to demonstrate your basic knowledge of English and United States history and civics.
After the interview, you will receive either an invitation to your "Swearing-In" ceremony at which you will become a citizen of the United States, or a letter stating the reason for the denial of your citizenship request. If you failed the English exam or the United States history and civics exam at the first interview, the USCIS officer will give you a new date for your second interview.
- All appropriate boxes of the N-400 Form are filled out and application is signed on part 11.
- Include a copy of the front and back of your permanent resident card (green card). If you lost the card, and you have applied to replace your card, (Form I-90), submit a photocopy of your application and receipt if you have it. If you have a stamp in your passport indicating your "A" number, include a copy of that as well. If you have none of these items, you may still apply for naturalization as long as you know your alien number ("A" number).
- Include two passport style, full frontal photos (with a pencil lightly print your name and "A" number on the back of both photos).
- Include: A check or money order for: $680.00 (application fee: $595.00 and fingerprint fee: $85).* Make the check or money order payable to: "U.S. Department of Homeland Security." Be sure to write your alien number ("A" number) on the front.
- Mail the form by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. Visit the USCIS N-400 Form website to find the appropriate Lockbox Facility where to send your application.
If you live in New York State, Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and you are sending your application via the U.S. Postal Service, the Lockbox facility for you to send your application is:
P.O. Box 660060
Dallas, TX 75266
For Express Mail/Courier deliveries, use:
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
*Fees and mailing addresses listed as of December 2010. Check the USCIS Immigration Forms website for updated fees.