Healthy CUNY and NYC DOHMH Tobacco Free Campus Initiative
Overview of Healthy CUNY Tobacco Initiative
Principal Investigators: Nicholas Freudenberg, DrPH, Distinguished Professor of Public Health, CUNY School of Public Health at Hunter College, and Luis Manzo, PhD, University Director of Mental Health and Wellness Services.
CUNY Tobacco Policy Project
- Funding provided by the NYCDOHMH Bureau of Tobacco Control and the Communities Putting Prevention to Work Grant
- Time-frame: January 2011-February 2012
- Scope of Work:
- Work with campus Tobacco Policy Committees to support the development of an expanded system-wide tobacco policy.
- Promote awareness of the dangers of tobacco use by coordinating the dissemination of print, web and television resources.
- Engage students as health advocates to support implementation of new policies and increased knowledge of the dangers of tobacco use.
- Provide training opportunities for Student Wellness Centers, Single Stop and other staff including facilities and/or security personnel.
- Develop, strengthen and promote smoking cessation services to all faculty, staff and students.
- Support the development of new signage for all CUNY campuses to inform faculty, students and staff of the new tobacco policy.