The University Office of Computing and Information Services has compiled this fact sheet to help students save money when purchasing textbooks. This list is not exhaustive, so students are encouraged to research other options. Be sure to check with your professor that the version of the textbook you select can be used in your class.
Library: Your campus library may have a copy of the textbook you need. CUNY Libraries Catalog
Bookstore: Your campus bookstore may offer ebooks or have rental programs.
Purchase Used Textbooks
Used textbooks are cheaper than new textbooks. You can purchase used textbooks from your campus bookstore or online.
Electronic versions of textbooks are often cheaper than print versions. All major retailers sell eBooks. If you do not see the eBook listed on the retailers website, check the website of the book publisher for an electronic version. Campus libraries also collect eBooks.
Use ISBN numbers to comparison shop among the major retail sites or use sites that compare prices from multiple sources.
amazon.com (Free Shipping@ http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info)
Online Book Swaps
Certain sites are set up to allow you to trade books with others online.
Certain sites are set up to allow you to rent textbooks for a designated timeframe. Make sure to return your books on time as late fees can be substantial. Be clear on terms and conditions of rental.
Free Downloads / Open Source
Many books that are no longer copyrighted can be downloaded for free.
ipl.org (Internet Public Library)
Ask for Unbundled Textbooks
Many textbooks come 'bundled' with CD-ROMSs and workbooks. Ask your professor to consider assigning unbundled textbooks (i.e. just the textbook) if he/she is not going to use the supplementary material.
Printing the Textbook Savings Flyer
- Go to Printer Preferences or Properties
- Under Document orientation select Landscape
- Under the Binding section select Binding Options- Left
- Under Print Type select: Duplex
- Select Print
- Under the 2nd tab under Presets select Printer Features
- Under Feature Sets select Layout 1
- Turn the Duplex-on and select top to top
- On Orientation Override-select Landscape
- Select Print
Note: Overall the specific properties and how the tab options are arranged may vary from printer to printer.
* This information is provided solely for your convenience and CUNY accepts no responsibility for the content of the listed sites. The listing of a company or site does not imply CUNY endorsement of the company, or a site's content, products, or services. CUNY makes no warranties, either express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or suitability of the information contained on listed sites, or that every useful site is listed. Transactions made as a result of this information are the exclusive responsibility of the student.