About CUNY Start
CUNY Start provides intensive preparation in academic reading/writing, math, and "college success." The program enrolls prospective CUNY students who have been accepted to college because they have a high school or high school equivalency diploma, but are not ready for college-level work based on their scores on the CUNY Assessment Tests.
Students who have enrolled in CUNY Start re-take the required CUNY Assessment Tests. Past students have shown significant skill gains when they re-test; many have bypassed required remedial coursework entirely.
- 25 hours per week
- Academic Reading/Writing and Pre-College Math
- Locations: Borough of Manhattan Community College*, Bronx Community College, College of Staten Island, Guttman Community College, Hostos Community College, Kingsborough Community College*, LaGuardia Community College*, Medgar Evers College, Queensborough Community College*
- 12 hours per week
- Academic Reading/Writing or Pre-College Math
- Locations: Borough of Manhattan Community College*, Bronx Community College, College of Staten Island, Hostos Community College, Kingsborough Community College*, LaGuardia Community College*, Queensborough Community College
*These four CUNY Start programs are part of the Alternative College Pathways Study. The purpose of this study is to learn about the best ways to help students succed in college. Space is limited, so eligible students will be chosen by a lottery system.
"CUNY Start didn't just prepare me for the CUNY Assessment Tests; they prepared me for the college classes."
- Freshta, CUNY Start alumna at QCC