Opportunity Programs at CUNY
CUNY offers several Opportunity Programs for motivated students. Read through the information below to determine which program is best for you.
If you are a talented and motivated individual whose academic record does not reflect your full potential the SEEK or CD Program may be for you. SEEK (Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge) and CD (College Discovery) are CUNY opportunity programs, designed to assist high potential, low income students who otherwise might not be able to pursue a college degree because they are not academically well prepared for college level. Learn more about the SEEK/CD Program.
In order to be considered for admission to the SEEK/CD Program, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Meet the family income and other financial eligibility requirements
- Currently attend a high school in New York State or possess a New York State approved General Equivalency Development diploma (GED)
- Reside in New York State for SEEK admission; reside in New York City for CD admission
- Have an admissions profile similar to what is reflected on the Freshman Admission Profile
Additionally, transfer applicants must:
- Be enrolled in the State University of New York’s Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), or the independent colleges’ Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP).
- Freshman Applicants: Complete an Admission Application Worksheet for Freshman Applicants and a SEEK/CD Worksheet available here <pdf>.
Transfer Applicants:Complete an Admission Application Worksheet for Transfer Applicants and a Special Programs Transfer Request Form available here.
- Complete and submit your Admission Application and make certain you accurately complete the entire SEEK/CD section.
- Complete and submit your FAFSA.
The Accelerated Study in Associate Program (ASAP) is designed to help motivated community college students earn their degrees as quickly as possible. ASAP features a consolidated block schedule, cohorts by major, small class size, required full-time study and comprehensive advisement and career development.
ASAP is available at six of our community colleges, including: BMCC, Bronx, Hostos, LaGuardia, Kingsborough and Queensborough. Learn more about ASAP.
In order to be considered for ASAP, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be accepted as a freshman to one of the six community colleges listed above.
- Be a New York City resident.
- Agree to study full-time (minimum 12 credits per semester) in an ASAP-approved major.
- Be fully skills proficient or have no more than two developmental course needs, based on CUNY Skills Assessment Test scores.
- Be eligible to receive need-based financial aid (Pell and/or TAP).
- If a current CUNY or transfer student, have earned 15 or fewer college credits with a cumulative of 2.0 or above.
*Additional criteria may apply at certain colleges.
Did you already complete your Admission Application, but forget to apply for SEEK/CD? To be considered for SEEK/CD, please send an email to our Help Desk for Students at email@example.com. Include "SEEK/CD Request" in your subject line and list the following information (exactly as it appears on your Admisson Application):
- First and Last Name
- Application Control Number (10 digits and begins with W)
- Email address used to complete your Admission Application (Note: Your SEEK/CD application will be sent to this address).