Veterans & Future Veterans
At CUNY we welcome all incoming veterans, both current and future. We have one of the largest veteran student populations in the U.S. with over 3,000 enrolled students across all of our college campuses.
We understand that adjusting to life at home after serving in the armed forces can be a difficult process for many, yet we hope to give you every opportunity to succeed. We strive to provide the easiest transition possible for returning veterans, with each of our campuses having a Veteran Affairs Representative, if not a full Office of Veteran Affairs, capable of aiding and offering appropriate referrals to a number of other resources such as counseling and transitioning services.
As a veteran applicant, it is important that you first find out what information will be needed to apply to the college and program of your choice. We recommend that you download and complete the Admission Application Worksheet along with this Quick Guide to Apply for Veterans and Future Veterans. Applicants who only have military training should apply for freshman admission.
After You APply
In addition to sending in supporting documents (for further information look at the After You Apply tab located on the left) you will have to Request Your Veterans Fee Waiver.
All veteran and future veteran applicants are exempt from paying the Application Fee, but must first request a Veteran Fee Waiver:
- After you submit your Admission Application, select the “PAY LATER” option on the payment screen.
- Print your Application Summary Package.
- Send a request for a Veterans Fee Waiver via email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Full Name (as listed on your Application Summary Package)
- Date of birth
- Application Control Number (ten-digit number beginning with a W)
- Indicate whether you are a Freshman or Transfer applicant
- Indicate the semester for which you have applied (ie., Fall 2014)
- Attach proof of your Veteran/Military status (ie., DD-214, Current Military ID Card, or Deployment or Pre-separation orders)
- Include “Veterans Fee Waiver Request” in the subject line of your email
Furthermore, as a Veteran you are entitled to a number of benefits.
First, you should take the time to enroll in the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill (Chapter 33) or the MGIB (Chapter 30) online at vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp. By providing a “Certificate of Eligibility” to your college’s certifying official from the VA you will be elegible to receive benefits at CUNY.
You should also look at: New York State TAP and the New York State Veterans Tuition Award at www.hesc.com. Additionally, if you were in the National Guard you should look into the New York National Guard Tuition Benefit program at www.dmna.state.ny.us/education/
Type in a question or keyword above.