Fair Date: Friday, April 4, 2014
Hours: Breakfast Reception for Recruiters - 9:30 to 10:45 am
Job & Internship Fair - 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
Venue: Jacob Javits Center
River Pavilion & Galleria
Enter on 11th Avenue at 35th Street
Employer Registration Fee: $750
If you are an employer searching for a diverse, competitive, college-educated applicant pool, register now for the April 4, 2014 CUNY Big Apple Job & Internship Fair. Recruit for full- or part-time positions and internships.
This major university-wide recruitment event provides private and public sector employers with the unparalleled opportunity to source from the largest public urban university in the nation. During its twenty-five year history, the Big Apple's rating among organizations remains exemplary:
- Over 92% consistently report meeting all of their recruitment objectives.
- In any given year, at least 70% are return participants. The most telling of all statistics, this attests to the fair's established reliability as a quality recruitment source.
To quote some recent job fair employers:
- "We had a very successful event today. We scheduled interviews on the spot!" - Fidelis Care NY
- "This was a great opportunity to tap into the value the CUNY educational system has produced." - Department of Homeland Security TSA
- "We have been to many job fairs this year. This fair had the sharpest, most well-dressed and prepared students. Truly a great turnout." - Logan Business Concepts, Inc.
Approximately 3,000+ students and alumni of degree-granting programs - from CUNY's eleven senior colleges, seven community colleges, the Graduate Center (CUNY's doctoral-granting graduate school), Macaulay Honors College, and the CUNY School for Professional Studies - will be attending the fair. Because this is a university-wide job fair, participants hold all majors and degrees, including Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, PhD's, and advanced professional degrees. You can confirm that CUNY has the major(s) and degree(s) matching your organization's recruitment needs by clicking on Majors and Degrees.
If an important objective for you is diversity recruitment, be advised that CUNY's student body reflects New York City's ethnic diversity. CUNY students are remarkably diverse, tracing their ancestries to 205 countries. African-American, white and Hispanic undergraduates each comprise more than a quarter of the student body, and Asians more than 15 percent. Forty-seven percent of undergraduates have a native language other than English, 41 percent work more than 20 hours a week, 63 percent attend school full time, and 15 percent support children. Nearly 60 percent are female and 29 percent are 25 or older. Of first-time freshmen, 37 percent are born outside the U.S. mainland, and nearly 70 percent attended New York City public high schools.
Act now to reserve a space for your organization by registering on-line. This is an event you won't want to miss!
Completing Employer Registration
Registering to participate in the CUNY Big Apple Job & Internship Fair requires more than completing minimal information and paying the fee. Every organization must provide comprehensive answers on the on-line registration form so that CUNY graduates are fully informed about the organization and the qualifications required for open positions. Employers who do not comply may be denied participation in the fair.
Number of Participating Recruiters and Breakfast Passes
We urge you to staff your booth with at least two recruiters at all times. The student/graduate turnout is very large and recruiters are fully engaged throughout the fair.
You may send more than two recruiters to the fair; however, keep in mind that the registration form permits you to request up to two breakfast passes as part of the registration fee. If you want more than two recruiters to be at the fair or to receive an extra breakfast pass, there is a $50 charge for each recruiter over two. Payment arrangements must be made prior to the fair. (Refer to the Registration Form.)
If you do not specify the number of recruiters dining at the fair at least a week before it, we will allocate two breakfast passes to your organization. No additions will be made the day of the fair.
Do's and Don'ts about Booth Set-up
- If you want an electrical outlet, make the request and payment arrangements directly with the Javits Center's Exhibitors Service Department at (877) 452-8487.
- Standing table displays and banners draped over tables are permitted.
- Nothing can extend from a booth out into aisle space.
- Nothing can be attached to booth drapes except with drayage hooks obtained the day of the fair at our service booth, and nothing can conceal an organization's pre-printed sign with booth number.
- Audio displays are not permitted; they can be distracting to others and cause bottlenecking in the aisles.
Caveats Governing Employer Registration
Employers interested in participating in the CUNY Big Apple Job and Internship Fair should note the following:
- Space availability is on a first-come/first-served basis.
- Registration is subject to approval by review committee.
- Employer registration fees are non-refundable.
- Participants agree to conduct business exclusively within their booths and to refrain from distributing materials elsewhere at the fair, e.g., to students on registration lines. Recruiters refusing to adhere to this policy will be asked to leave the fair, with no fee refund.
- We ask all employers to honor their commitment to CUNY and job fair participants by keeping their booths staffed until the 2:00 p.m. closing time.
Getting Materials to the Javits Center
The Javits Center will not accept and store materials before the fair and has strict guidelines that determine whether or not you can carry your own materials to your booth. The following information is very important:
The "rule of thumb" is that if a person is able to hand-carry or cart materials on a small personal two-wheeled luggage carrier (plastic or rubber wheels only), s/he may come in through a regular public entrance at the front of the building and bring materials directly to the booth area.
If you meet the "rule of thumb" criteria and want your materials hand-delivered, you have two choices:
1. You can make your own arrangements to have your materials delivered to your booth the day before the fair (Thursday, April 3rd) between 2 and 5 p.m. If you choose this option, call 646-664-9010 for your booth number. Instruct your delivery person to leave materials at your booth and not at the registration counters. PLEASE NOTE: Security is not guaranteed for materials left overnight, but no material left there overnight for this fair has ever been taken.
2. You can have recruiters bring materials the morning of the fair.
If you do not meet the "rule of thumb" criteria for front door entry, you can get your materials to the Javits Center by sending them to Metropolitan Exposition Services, the company setting up our booths.
Do not send materials to the Javits Center, which assumes no responsibility to get them to your booth, and which may not be able to locate them for your recruiter in time for the fair.
Metropolitan Exposition Services charges a fee for this service and it must be paid in advance. Contact the Customer Service Department at Metropolitan Exposition at (201) 994-1301 for further information. You will need to make arrangements with Metropolitan so that your materials arrive there no earlier than March 31st and no later than April 2nd. (Click here for forms you need to complete and submit to Metropolitan Exposition Services) Each box of materials should be clearly marked "For the April 4th CUNY BIG APPLE JOB AND INTERNSHIP FAIR" and addressed as follows:
TO: Your Organization's Name
Your organization's booth number (call 646-664-9010 for the number)
c/o Metropolitan Exposition Services, Inc.
115 Moonachie Avenue
Moonachie, NJ 07074
Retrieving Materials after the Fair
The Javits Center will not store materials after the fair. These are your choices for getting displays/materials back to your offices:
- Your recruiters can carry them out.
- You can contract with Metropolitan Transportation to arrange to have materials returned to you. Call 201-994-1300 at least a week before the fair to make arrangements.
Travel Directions, Parking and Hotels
For information, please go to the web site http://www.javitscenter.com
See "Directions to Javits" and "Hotels"
The registration fee is $750 and for that fee
an organization receives:
- An 8' x 10' booth with 8' high back wall
drape and 3' high side drape; 6' x 30"
dressed table and two chairs; name of organization and booth # on a 44"x 7"
sign hung high on the back wall drape.
- Two tickets to the pre-fair breakfast
reception. (See "Number of Participating Recruiters and Breakfast Passes" -
to the right- for information about
planning for attendance by more than
- Inclusion in the on-line directory of participating organizations that students
and graduates will review prior to the
fair (providing organizations register on
a timely basis).
- Baruch College
- Baruch College School of Public Affairs
- Brooklyn College
- The City College of New York
- College of Staten Island
- Hunter College
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- Lehman College
- Medgar Evers College
- New York City College of Technology
- Queens College
- York College
- Borough of Manhattan Community College
- Bronx Community College
- Guttman Community College
- Hostos Community College
- Kingsborough Community College
- LaGuardia Community College
- Queensborough Community College
Graduate and Professional Colleges